Friday, December 2, 2011

Curiosity Day 2 - What falls under learning

Have been reading up on Social Media lately. Found an interesting book by Brian Solis called Engage. My purpose for reading it is pretty selfish. I am looking for validation that companies are missing the social media boat. They feel that by creating a facebook fan page, tweeting, posting videos to YouTube they are active on Social Media. My belief is that they are missing the point. All they are doing is using these channels to post stuff that is more of the same. Ads. promotions, salesy stuff. Most are not using this as a way to engage with their customers. This led me to find a new term "Experiential Marketing". It is all about creating an experience f or your customers and thus better engaging with them. My take is that companies should create social microsites (lots of them) that are around a theme / topic / event / location etc. that is targeted and relevant and that can be a place for a community to gather. In doing more research I found out that ning is a site that lets you create these social microsites pretty quickly..

Practiced my serve. Watched videos on YouTube or Andy Roddick, Milos Raonic, Safin, Federer etc. Looking at the videos, I am always amazed at how talented Marat Safin was. If only his head was in the right place..

Worked on some cool science experiments with my kids. Light a match then light a candle. Blow out the candle and take the lit match close to the wick and even though you dont touch the wick the candle lights up. Fun to do with kids. They get to blow out the candle and I show them how I can magically light it up again and they blow it out again..

Which brings me to the topic of this post. As I go along this journey of being curious. I am trying to figure out what learning something new covers. If I learn a new fact is that good enough? Should it be some project that is longer in length? There is a big difference between learning how to serve in tennis and learning that the distance from our galaxy (Milky Way) to the nearest one (Andromeda) is 2.6 Million light years.. that is faaaaaar awaaaaay..

No comments:

Post a Comment