Sunday, December 4, 2011

Curiosity Day 4 - Nihilism, Aerogel and more tennis..

I have a feeling that tennis going to be a part of my daily entry for all 100 days. At least it feels like that. I happen to be at that stage of learning tennis where I am obsessed with it. I want to get better and I am working hard on it. I take a lesson and practice and practice and practice. This was the way I was with golf a few years ago. Then I started playing tennis, got hurt and lost my interest in golf. For about 4 years I was obsessed with golf. Bringing my score down was all I cared about. Year 1, I broke a 100. Year 2 I broke 90. Year 3 I was in the 80s. My handicap was down to a 10 and suddenly I realized if I needed to take my golf game to the next level (the elusive single handicap) it was going to take a lot of effort. That combined with picking up tennis was the end of golf. And once I lost that goal, I lost interest. Wonder how long before I lost interest in tennis and pick up the next thing...

Anyway, was working on volleys today. Took the ball machine out even though it was in the high 40s. Must have hit about 300 volleys. Had taken a lesson and I finally got a feel for what I had been taught. Learnt how to hit angled volleys by turning my shoulders and not taking the arm back. Learnt to keep my hands together. Funny how learning this took hardly any time. The serve on the other hand is a work in progress. Have taken 2 lessons on the serve that have dealt with two different themes. Having the hardest time bringing the two together. But I know there is light at the end of the tunnel. It is easy to give up as it feels like nothing is working, but I have to be patient..

Was Stumbling today and came across 2 interesting things. Aerogel. My only experience with Aerogel was the Dunlop tennis racket. Found out that it is the least dense solid. Almost as light as air. They take a gel and remove the water and replace it with air. Makes it very light and very strong. NASA used it to collect stardust. Also a very good insulator..

Found out about Existential Nihilists..

"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player That struts and frets his hour upon the stage And then is heard no more; it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing" - Macbeth


There is no real meaning - we are born, we live, we die and once we die that's it, for some people this is a cause of great concern while for others it is freeing. It shouldn't stop one from living a life that one deems as good. As you are aware of the choices you make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment